Covent Garden Hotel is a heritage listed building located in Sydney’s Chinatown. Here is some historical information about the architecture of the building:
From 1871, the Miller’s Arms Hotel was located at this corner and by the mid-1870s was called the Engineers’ Hotel. As the City Markets were moving into the area, the hotel was re-named in 1910 and became Covent Garden Hotel. Soon after, the hotel and adjacent terraces were demolished as part of land resumptions for the market development. In 1911-12, a three-storey Tooths & Co hotel with cellar was constructed. The name, Covent Garden Hotel, was retained and is still used today. From the 1950s, Chinese restaurants operated on the first floor of the hotel. The Tai Yuen Restaurant was one of Sydney’s oldest, largest and most popular.
Between 1910 and 1922 the site, east of the Covent Garden Hotel, sat vacant. The Covent Garden Hotel licensee was leaseholder of the vacant land. In 1922, a three-storey infill extension to the Covent Garden Hotel was completed. This extension comprised two shops divided by a central passage on the ground floor and a dining area and kitchen on the first floor. On the second floor, seven bedrooms connected to the adjoining hotel’s bedroom level.